Monday, February 4, 2008

Making hay in Kentucky

I've been in Kentucky for nine days. Each of those days has brought its sorrows (in the form of aches and pains and a horrible cold) and joys (just about everything else). My dream of being a hands-on grandma has come true and it's just as wonderful as I imagined it would be.

While I won't be here beyond February, this month will give me a chance to do all the things I've dreamed of doing for (and with) three of my four grandsons. Being here for them first thing in the morning, all through the day, and right up to the last thing at night have been goals of mine since I first learned I was going to be a grandmother. Helping them with homework and valentines, planning birthday parties, supervising playtime, making forts out of kitchen chairs and blankets, reading books, and sitting on the floor playing with cars--all of these are worthy and longed-for activities for a grandma who doesn't have a chance to do these things anytime she gets the urge. No, I have to make hay while the sun shines and I've got a lot of hay piled up--and a lot more ready to be baled.

By the time I return home to Mississippi, I fully expect to be exhausted, sore, and sad to leave my grandmothering days behind for the time being. But until then, I'm bound and determined to do what I can to make joyful memories for my little boys.

Until the next time...

No comments:

Laughing with the Lord #6

Welcome to Laughing with the Lord #6!  Sometimes I wonder if my purpose in life is to make God chuckle. I do so many ridiculous thi...