Friday, October 19, 2007

Dance of the trees

We had some scary weather yesterday, particularly deep into the night. After an afternoon and evening spent watching the skies for signs of severe thunderstorms and tornadic activity, we went to bed wondering if anything would materialize while we were away from the Weather Channel. I slept fitfully and with my windows open just a crack so I could hear the wind if it started up. And later that night, it did.

I stood in my bedroom in the dark and watched the trees bow and sway like multi-armed dancers in a ballet of gigantic proportions. No sheets of rain barred my view from the window, no lightning filled the sky, no thunder bellowed overhead. It was just me, the wind, and the dancing trees. I didn't know whether to be enthralled or terrified.

I tore myself away from the performance and went downstairs to turn on the television. No warnings, no watches; only storms to the east of us that marched in a northeasterly direction. They seemed to be dwindling in strength and I hope they were; I pray I wasn't watching the progress of destructive winds and flooding waters that would envelop other innocents as they slept.

Please, Lord, watch over Your children night and day as they weather the mighty forces of nature that could destroy them or their property. Be with those who have lost loved ones and homes in storms that we are helpless to stop or turn. Thank You, God, for your loving protection in times of peril. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Laughing with the Lord #6

Welcome to Laughing with the Lord #6!  Sometimes I wonder if my purpose in life is to make God chuckle. I do so many ridiculous thi...